Some "Old Fashioned" Advice for Business Owners
This set of “rules” comes from the 18th century and, wow, these rules look like they were written with today’s business in mind! I discovered these in C.J. Hayden’s excellent book, “Get Clients Now“. The exact resource for the list is unknown. Bottom line? Stay in front of your prospects and clients. Regular consistent efforts do AND will pay off!
- The first time a man looks at an advertisement, he does not see it.
- The second time, he does not notice it.
- The third time, he is conscious of it.
- The fourth time, he faintly remembers having seen it before.
- The fifth time, he reads it.
- The sixth time, he turns it up his nose up at it.
- The seventh time, he reads it through and says, “Oh, brother!”
- The eighth time, he says, “Here’s that confounded thing again!”
- The ninth time, he wonders if it amounts to anything.
- The tenth time, he asks his neighbor if he has tried it.
- The eleventh time, he wonders how the advertiser makes it pay.
- The twelfth time, he thinks it must be a good thing.
- The thirteenth time, he thinks perhaps it might be worth something.
- The fourteenth time, he remembers wanting such a think a long time.
- The fifteenth time, he is tantalized because he cannot afford to buy it.
- The sixteenth time, he thinks he will buy it some day.
- The seventeenth time, he makes a memorandum to buy it.
- The eighteenth time, he swears at his poverty.
- The nineteenth time, he counts his money carefully.
- The twentieth time he sees the ad, he buys what it is offering.
To Your Success,